Thursday, December 3, 2009

Wow, it's been a while!

I haven't updated in quite some time, so I thought I would get back into the Blog again.
Quite a bit has happened over the last 18 months. Both my boys graduated from high school, I almost got divorced, my wife's grandmother passed away, and my 14 year old super genius nephew committed suicide...

My nephew is what I really want to talk about today because of the reasons he decided to take his own life. At first it wasn't real clear why he committed suicide. Jacob was a true super genius, with an IQ of 174! To put that into perspective, Albert Einstein had an IQ of 160 or so. Initial thoughts were that he felt deeply rejected by his ex-girlfriend that broke up with him. Then, my sister (his mother) started finding little clues here and there on the Internet - on MySpace, and other blog sites. He felt rejected by his step father to a large extent, and that was probably a part of the reason. But I think the larger reason was that he was bisexual and agnostic. That is a pretty heavy load for a 14 year old to bear, although I know his mother would not love him any less because of this.

I had spoken to him the previous summer a little bit about theology, evolution, and physics.
He and I thought a LOT alike, but he was far ahead of me in the sense that I didn't have the thoughts he was having until I was in my mid 20's. He was ahead of me by a decade.
I have no doubt that had he lifed out his life, he would have soon been athiest in regard to the Judeo-Christian diety, and was pretty much on par with myself on the paranormal as well.
I don't think this sat well with his mother, but she doesn't judge me too harshly for my views and I don't believe she would have treated her son any differently.

It is a fact that a large majority of people with high IQ's are agnostic or atheist. I think this is a natural thing because people with high IQ's are naturally inquisitive and prone to be free thinkers, and not just accept things because that's what they are told.

It is a shame that he felt there was no other way to handle the situation. I believe he could have been the next Stephen Hawking. His passing is a loss to the whole world. It's just that nobody is aware of it because he didn't have his chance to make the difference that he had the potential for. I will miss him dearly...

No comments: